Charges Filed After The January Shooting
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty announced charges Monday against ICE officer Christian Castro in the January 14 shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis. Moriarty said Castro faces four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime, and a warrant was issued for his arrest. The case comes from an enforcement operation in Minneapolis, where federal officers were chasing another man to an apartment duplex shared by the men. In a year when every agency seems to issue its own version of reality before lunch, the courthouse is now where the story has to survive.
What Prosecutors And Federal Officials Disagree On
According to Moriarty, Sosa-Celis and the other man were legally in the United States. Federal authorities had first said the two men assaulted an officer with a broom handle and a snow shovel during the incident, but a federal judge later dismissed those charges. Federal officials then opened an investigation into whether two immigration officers lied under oath about what happened. That leaves the public with the usual gift from government communications, a pile of claims, a stack of denials, and not much help from anyone paid to be crystal clear.
DHS Released Its Own Account
DHS also released names and background details for the three men it said were involved, saying Sosa-Celis had prior arrests and that the others entered the country during the Biden administration. The agency said one man had been released by Minnesota authorities before ICE could lodge a detainer, and another had a final order of removal after missing an immigration hearing. Fox News reporter Bill Melugin posted a DHS rundown of the case on X, which is handy because nothing says orderly immigration policy like a public fight between agencies, prosecutors, and a comment section.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS! PLEASE COMMENT BELOW.

Leave a Comment